Why Should You Trust Your Chimney to a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep?
Scheduling a chimney sweep who is certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) is critical in maintaining your chimney to ensure that it is in safe and working condition for when you need it.
When you schedule a visit for a chimney sweep, which of the following chimney concerns are you addressing?
- You want to make sure that your chimney isn’t vulnerable to chimney fires due to the buildup of creosote.
- You want to ensure that your home has the best possible heating and cooling efficiency.
- You want to make sure your family isn’t potentially exposed to deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.
- You need the fireplace cleaned out by someone who can get the job done properly without making a mess on your carpet or furniture.
- You have an old home, and you want to find out if the firebox needs to be replaced.
- You want to learn how to avoid adding to the pollution problem when using your fireplace.
- All of the above?
The training regimen and professional commitment made by a CSIA certified chimney sweep covers all of these areas of importance plus more. Obligations and responsibilities of the CSIA certified chimney sweeps include:
- Continually sharpening skills, knowledge base, and technique regarding safety practices for the fireplace chimney and venting.
- Perpetually learning about and following the venting and chimney safety techniques and practices recommended by the CSIA.
- Familiarity and compliance with applicable building codes regarding venting and chimney products.
- Strict adherence to manufacturers’ installation instructions for any products installed.
- Providing consumers with essential information about venting and chimney safety procedures.
- Always dealing with customers fairly and honestly and refraining from engaging in practices which are unfair or deceptive.
- Behaving in a respectful and professional manner at all times when serving in the capacity as a chimney sweep.
CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep Proficiencies
The knowledge gained by becoming a certified chimney sweep is essential. You can’t possibly get the same level of service from someone who hasn’t participated in the testing and education program as you can from someone who has qualified for CSIA certification. Those who are certified demonstrate proficiency in the following areas and more:
- The technical aspects of chimney dynamics and construction.
- The best and most current techniques of the trade and how to perform them skillfully.
- The physics of wood burning and the formation of creosote in the chimney, which causes fire hazards.
- All applicable codes, clearances, and standards.
- Installation and care of the various types of solid fuel appliances.
- EPA requirements.
One of the benefits of a CSIA certification is that it helps consumers identify who they can confidently trust their chimneys to. The services performed by a chimney sweep are essential to maintaining a safe and working chimney. With a CSIA certified chimney sweep you can guarantee that you will receive the most current and qualified chimney care.
What to Look for in a Chimney Sweep Company
The CSIA recommends that homeowners take care in choosing the company they hire for chimney sweep services. Some things to look for include:
- Current references from customers.
- Proof of liability insurance coverage.
- A guarantee that the person performing the work at your home is a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau and other consumer protection agencies to find if there are any unresolved complaints against the company.
If your chimney sweep won’t take the time to get certified, do you really think they will take the time to conduct a clean and professional chimney cleaning? Don’t take a chance with your chimney sweep. Chimney Safety Institute of America certified chimney sweeps will get the job done right, every time.
Northeastern Chimney, Inc.
formerly Nayaug Chimney Services, LLC
37 Cody Street, West Hartford, CT 06110