What are NCSG and CSIA Certification Requirements, and Why Should Homeowners Care?
We are proud to say that we are members in good standing of NCSG and CSIA certified. Many times homeowners do not realize all the benefits this fact represents without knowing exactly what these certifications mean.
What is Required to be an NCSG Member?
The National Chimney Sweep Guild (NCSG) is a trade association which promotes the success of members who are in the chimney and venting industry. The NCSG is a non-profit 501(c)(6) association and advances the industry through public awareness campaigns. The association also provides progressive services and promotes ethical accountability and professionalism among its membership.
Various segments of the industry are eligible for membership in NCSG, including:
• Chimney service companies
• Manufacturers and suppliers of goods and services for the chimney service industry
• Chimney service companies that are also suppliers can get a combination membership
• An affiliate membership is available for individuals or organizations who are not currently engaged in the chimney service or venting industry but have an interest
The dues for voting membership for a chimney service company in NCSG must be paid annually. The representatives of the company that joins NCSG must acknowledge and agree to the NCSG Code of Ethics.
Membership in NCSG signifies the following:
• Membership in the only trade association for chimney professionals that is nationally recognized.
• A commitment to credibility and professionalism.
• Agreement to adhere to a Code of Ethics and possible disciplinary actions against those who fail to do so.
• Members have access to the routine technical updates of Sweeping: The Journal of Chimney & Venting Technology.
• Simple verification of membership is available with NCSG’s Find a Member locator.
Services which assist a chimney service company in growth and success are available to NCSG members. The types of services available include:
• Product discounts
• Educational opportunities
• Technical support
• Networking opportunities
What is Required to be CSIA Certified?
The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) Certified Chimney Sweep® credential is increasingly recognized as the measure of a chimney sweep’s knowledge regarding the maintenance and evaluation of chimneys and venting systems. Those who recognize this distinction among CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps include:
• Insurance underwriters
• Industry organizations
• Federal agencies on the local and state level
In order to earn the CCS Credential, an individual must, among other things:
• Pass an extensive exam on Successful Chimney Sweeping (2009) and NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) 211 (2010).
• Pass a separate exam based on the 2006 International Residential Code.
• Sign the CSIA Code of Ethics.
• Status as a professional in the industry and enhanced credibility among clients and competitors.
• The right to place the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep trademark on advertising materials and vehicles.
• Aggressive trademark protection.
• Referrals from and professional representation among affiliated industries.
• National recognition of the accomplishment of becoming CSIA certified.
Being a member of NCSG and CSIA certified, in a nutshell, means that we hold ourselves to a higher level of professionalism and service. Who better to entrust with the important job of keeping your home safe from dangers related to fireplaces, chimneys, and potential venting problems?
Northeastern Chimney, Inc.
formerly Nayaug Chimney Services, LLC
37 Cody Street, West Hartford, CT 06110